Detour is an application (“App”) offered by recsyslabs (https://recsyslabs.com). Detour uses recsyslabs’ private-by-default and explainable personalization technology to give you a great user experience tailored to your taste without compromising your identity (the “Services”). Detour will collect as little personal information about you as possible when you use the app, and we will never share with third parties or monetize this data.
What data do we collect?
Typically, when you use apps or online services, companies collect and store your profile with a long record of your history and activity so they can understand your behavior over time. This leaves your information vulnerable. It can be sold, given to others, hacked or leaked, e.g., in case of a breach. Recsyslabs does not do this.
- We use HTTPS to encrypt the data sent to and from Detour.
- We do not use “cookies”, a technology that would allow us to identify unique users by a temporary device-related ID, which is often use to track individuals across website and devices. Recsyslabs do not do this.
- We do not collect any Personal Identification Information – PII (Name, email address, phone number, etc.). Detour does not know who you are.
We extract coarse temporal and local event information, to improve the personalization experience offered to you. More specifically:
- We collect and store service use data, including data about the content you interact with and the time of day of the interaction.
- Any time you use an app or visit a website, your device sends information about it to that app or website’s server (e.g., the IP address, the user agent), this is how the Internet protocols work. We collect the IP address and extract a coarse location at the city level, and then anonymize the IP address as soon as technically feasible. That is, we do not who you are and only record interaction event information, e.g., clicking an article link recommended by Detour.
- To use Detour Services, you do not need to log-in, create a user account or give us your email address. We don’t really want your email addresses, email addresses are Personal Data, and so we treat them with care. We do not sell your Personal Data, or disclose your Personal Data to to any third parties. However, you may choose to provide us with your email address to be contacted by us, if for example, you want to receive updates from us via email, or in connection with a support request (you can also report an issue anonymously). If you want us to delete your email address, please contact us at email@example.com.
If we inadvertently collect more personal information than intended, we endeavor to delete the extraneous information. When we no longer need to retain information or when deleting information on request, we endeavor to remove all copies. However, please understand that deleted information may continue to persist on backup media.
Other Important Information
We will comply with legal requests when we have a legal obligation to do so. But they cannot request what we do not have, and we do not expect to be able to provide anything.
If you do not agree with the changes, that is OK! It just means you can no longer use our Services.
Personal Data for Children
You can reach us with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Effective Date: 2020-07-08
Last Updated: 2020-08-17